Sunday, January 4, 2009

Reusable Produce Bags

I've been carrying my own shopping bags for a while and got tired of bringing home a bunch of plastic produce bags, so I made my own reusable produce bags. I've only been using them a week, but so far they're great! I've written up a tutorial (with pictures!) so you can make some yourself if you're a little crafty. My pictures aren't great, but hopefully they're good enough to help you follow my directions.

I bought 2 yards of tulle (54" wide). I cut it lengthwise into thirds, then cut each piece in half. So I had 6 pieces, each of which was 18"x36". These bags are a little large - good for a bunch of apples or potatoes, or maybe some celery or lettuce. You'd want smaller bags for a couple of kiwis or a few avocados. I bought some more tulle (this time red) to make some small bags. I purposely got a different color so I can just reach in my bag for large (green) bags or small (red) bags. Choose your thread and ribbon to coordinate or contrast with your tulle.

Fold each piece in half widthwise so you have a square. Leave the side opposite the fold open, but sew each of the other sides to within about 2" of the edge opposite the fold, backstitching to reinforce the seam.


Fold open one of the side seams. Fold each raw edge down (your fold will follow the seam). Sew down one side, turn and sew across your side seam, then turn and sew up the other side.

Fold the top edge down about an inch and stitch around the entire top of the bag. I backstitched across the side seams to reinforce.

Cut 2 ribbons (only 1 is shown) a few inches longer than twice the width of your bag. My ribbon is about 38" long.

Attach a safety pin to one end of the ribbon and thread it through the opening of your bag.


Keep threading when you get to the opening on the opposite side. When you reach your starting point, tie a knot. I didn't take a picture of this, but I think you can manage :)

Repeat the procedure for the second ribbon, starting at the opening opposite your knot. (Refer to the next picture.)

Turn your bag inside out and you're done!

Now go shopping!

No comments: